Denver Pet Partners update! I haven't talked about DPP in a while so thought I'd share an update. We are visiting regularly (every other Saturday) at a day shelter for homeless women and children. The homelessness ranges from the "chronically" homeless to the women that have a place to stay but can't afford food or other necessary items on a regular basis. Since I visit on the weekends I never see kids but the women sure do love Zeke. We just hang out in a corner and women can come up to us as they wish. We (naturally) attract the animal lovers. We have heard several stories of these women's former pets and how once they get back on their feet they can't wait to get another (usually) dog. One woman last week was walking across the room and glanced in my direction. I noticed the exact moment she saw Zeke...her face lit up and she got a huge smile on her face and she practically broke out in a run to get to him. Priceless!
Last night we went to a program where children with special needs and their siblings get to hang out with an adult buddy all night while their parents get a "date night" without having to worry about their children and not have to pay a baby-sitter. It occurs on the first Friday of every month and DPP teams can sign up as they wish (with a maximum of four teams per night). There are six different stations so the kids have plenty of entertainment all night. It was mostly kids running amok with their adult buddy chasing after them. :) "Pets" is one of the stations so the Pet Partner teams were in a room and the kiddos could come love on our dogs. They were so adorable. One little girl with Down Syndrome pulled Zeke's fur and hit him in the face a few times but Zeke never flinched. Another little boy with basically no mobility was able to "pet" Zeke which put a smile on his face. Another girl "loved Zeke SO much" she wanted to take him home.
p.s. (Total side track) Dave and I were just talking about the blog. I called it our blog and then said that really it's my blog because I'm the only contributor and he doesn't even read it. I told him I don't post very much about him because he doesn't do anything blog worthy. So from now on I'll have "Dave updates". Right now, Dave is heating up some pizza for breakfast. We'll see how long "Dave updates" last. If I can't hold the attention of my reader's, I'll be forced to cut them. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment