After several months off (way more than I anticipated), Zeke and I are gearing back up to start visiting again. I decided to look into hospital settings as I think this would best suit both me and Zeke. Moving room to room and being more active will better suit Zeke at this point. When he's older we can go back to tutoring.
I decided on The Medical Center of Aurora - South Campus (TMCA). I've gone through the orientation, got my flu shot and TB test and have started the shadowing process. I need to shadow another team one more time and then we'll get shadowed a couple of times before we're let loose on our own. I loved, loved my first visit and can't wait to bring Zeke along. The patients we visited were amazing and you could visibly see them perk up once they started petting the dog. One couple in particular stands out. The husband (I'd say in his mid 60's) just had a lung removed and was on the recovery floor. They are from NY but were in Denver with their sons. I noticed there was a picture of Derek Jeter in the room so I commented on the Yankees. He loves the Yankees and specifically Derek Jeter so much that he offered his kids $10,000 if they named any of their children Derek or Dereka!! He couldn't believe that so far, none of them have taken him up on his offer.
No comments:
Post a Comment